Wednesday, 27 July 2011

I may be a drama queen after all

This little episode has got me accused of all sorts (thanks Sarah!).  Not least that I have achieved new levels of drama queenery (is that a word?).  At the weekend, despite the best-laid plans to be incredibly cheerful, I was not feeling very well.  I don’t get ill that often, and when I do I always exaggerate my symptoms.  I am one of those recklessly foolish people who ALWAYS take the…I’m searching for a word that would make me not seem so stupid…but I can’t find one, so imbecilic will have to do.  I made the imbecilic decision to Google my symptoms.

After a half an hour of searching I realised to my horror that my illness was likely to result in having one or both of my feet amputated.  I kid you not.  I am normally a very rational, sensible person who is quite intelligent and relatively articulate, but I was genuinely fearful.  I spent the weekend under the fug of fear, worrying.

Anyway, despite the fever pitch I had got myself into by Monday, I forced myself to ring the doctor.  If I was going down, I was going to go down as a big girl’s blouse – quite literally.  So I booked and went to the morning emergency appointment.  After about 5 minutes of time with the Doctor, I realised two things.  Firstly, that I may have a problem with overreaction.  Secondly that he was about 1% as concerned as I was and that there really was nothing that abnormal.  Blood tests – why do they always send me for blood tests – needed to be done, but apart from that, no need to worry to these hysterical levels.

Instead of walking out relieved, I started thinking – ooh, he’s very young.  Does he really know what he’s doing?  He could be mistaken.  Google is well known for its medical expertise.  Maybe I should get a second opinion.  I didn’t.  I went back to my first realisation – i.e. that I may have a slight tendency towards overreaction.   I’m sure he knows what he’s doing and despite everything, I might be ok for another week or two rather than imminently facing destruction.

But what’s the point of all of this?  Its simple really.  When I got my Google diagnosis, as even more stupid and facile as this sounds, the big thought that crossed my mind is that I might never wear heels again.  For someone who is trying not to be the girl anymore, don’t you think that’s an odd thing to think?

4 comments:

  1. There is nothing better in life than being a drama queen! Why suffer in silence when you can weep and wail in public and receive sympathy and gifts as a result.

    There have been many an occasion when had I not publicly announced my imminent death from some tropical insect bite that I would have missed out on cards, chocolates, flowers and even hampers.

    Obviously I have always got over the insect bites but enjoyed the attention along the way ;-)

    Queen on Dahlink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a fantastic idea! I suddenly feel it getting worse again...

    I really don't know how I can keep this only being the boy thing up. Its really not working at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very glad that the Dr has put your mind at rest. As for the blood tests - if you take some bigger steps on this road you might get quite used to having blood taken !

    If you really wanted an excuse to play the drama queen in the Dr's then tell him you are T something - that would get some attention.

    As for attention - this might be me but isn't that a new photograph on your profile. You look great !

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was quite a relief- and thank you for spotting the new photo! I have quite a few - I should swap them more often!

    Rhi x

    ReplyDelete