Thursday, 17 February 2011

Hope

I have two favourite themes in films:
1. Friendship
2. Hope

It's why 'Shawshank Redemption' is my favourite film. As well as being the original 'bromance', it contains one of the most amazing lines in a film: "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.". I get very emotional when I see people demonstrating that they have and are trusting in hope.

So today, judged by the 'Shawshank standard', has been a good day. For half a hour this evening I got to talk with a friend who has my happiness at heart and offers unconditional care, kindness and love. She is such a special lady.

And in terms of hope? Tomorrow I see a counsellor for the first time in my journey to understand where the future of my girlness is heading. Do I need to give up everything to be Rhi, or is being a girl something that I can choose not to do. Nervous about "walking on glass barefooted" but am hopeful that I can begin to get some answers.

5 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of therapy. I'll be excited to hear how it goes. I wouldn't have made it without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the hope front. It may seem pants, but life has a funny way of passing on a bit of luck when you least expect it.

    I hope (!!) the chat with the therapist went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The therapy was short-lived really. The therapist was lovely - her verdict after a few weeks was that I am in exactly the right place, comfortable and sorted with myself about my t-ness. But that my wife could do with some therapy to get her on the same page too. Not something I raised with Mrs A surprisingly. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly not... ;-)

    It's a tough one. I think it takes a while for self-acceptance to arrive, but then there's the whole partner acceptance too. I once read that a tranny has 20+ years to get their head around; a partner is lucky if they get 20 weeks before boundaries are pushed.

    I guess it all comes down to keep communicating, but that's easier said that done. Has Mrs A ever looked into TransPartners? It's a site just for wives, girlfriends and partners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know - it can be hard - but Mrs A has now had 17 years to get used to the idea but is now even more militantly against the idea than she was when we first married. At first I pushed the boundaries with her, but very quickly it went pear shaped and I went covert. Her approach now is more along the lines of stop doing it or our relationship is over. :-( Oh well...

    ReplyDelete