Monday, 31 December 2012

Can't see the wood for the trees?


Given everything that is going on at the moment, maybe there is a time for levity.  Or even just a question that doesn't have an earth shattering impact on my entire world.  Its about mobile phone cases.

I can't remember if I've ever mentioned, but I am a little bit of an Apple fan.  To say the least.  I love my technology pretty too.  In the world of clunky big masculine laptops, my 11 inch MacBook Air is positively buxom.  Being both an Apple fan and an early adopter I bought an iPhone 5 pretty much straight away.  Before other companies who design accessories had even come up with new cases for the new phone.  So I've been waiting to buy a nice new case for my phone for a couple of months.

Yesterday I was travelling, so I thought I would pop in to the Apple temple, en route to my destination, to buy one.  We all know how cathartic I find shopping to be: I've documented it before.   Clearly a phone case wasn't enough.  I also bought a really cute pair of red satin kitten heels, some much needed hosiery, some items for my new apartment and some new eyeliner.  Based on hundreds of positive reviews and the views of the lovely S, I have switched to Bobbi Brown's gel liner - apparently it is amazing.  More to follow on that in another blog.

So, I bought a phone cover.  If you haven't looked at the picture already do so now.  I thought it was really nice.  My main aim was to get something that gave me a sense of not being completely blokey so I could use it for work rather than constantly changing cases, but that would be neutral enough for when I'm actually going out and about in Rhiannon mode.  I thought bluey green would be ideal for that - and it has an orangey/pinky trim that fits with the corporate orange colour the company I work for likes.

I arrived at my destination having already clothed my phone in its new cover.  The first thing the chap (one of my friends) I had come to see said was, "That's a girly phone cover, did you buy it for when you are Rhiannon?"  I was astounded.  Whilst I didn't buy it for Rhiannon mode completely, I certainly thought that it was one that would be appropriate for male time too.

My concern coming out of this is whether I have a problem with being able to select stuff for myself without it being a lot feminine than I think.  I'm wondering if my sense of male and female has eroded to such an extent that I can't see the wood for the trees any more.  There is part of me that is fine with my phone being a little nearer to the girl on the gender see-saw, but I also still need to impress customers with my macho, go-getting, hard edged persona.  Difficult to be all of that and then to bring out a vision of green and orange loveliness.

My question therefore is, would you use this cover in male mode or has my friend saved me from myself?

6 comments:

  1. You could use a white phone, as I do, although honestly natal girls in serious jobs (my late-twenties niece for example, who was showing me her Samsung Galaxy S3 only yesterday) seem to use black quite naturally.

    Gosh, do you have to be macho on the job? That's not good. I know about this: I was a take-no-prisoners Tax Inspector most of my working life, and personal credibility mattered.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) No - not too macho. Just uber professional looking which means that some things are a problem - like unusual phone covers and my now growing hair which will will start to get noticed soon. One day people might not mind...

      Delete
  2. There are two answers here which are Yes and YES. Is there really a need to keep the filtering level up to max? Surely now is the time is to start letting go a little and relaxing?

    Personally i think the macho thing is not required. You are not that for starters (not that i have seen) and anyway would someone put 2 and 2 together and shout GIRL whilst jabbing their finger. Anyway, if all else fails tell them it was a Christmas gift and you didnt want to offend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I really need to work on that filtering thing. I'm far to over conscious...

      Lovin' the unwanted gift idea - you are quite simply genius!

      Delete
  3. If you like the colour or the design, Just Do It. IMO. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try it for a few weeks and see what happens. I can always revert later. Thank you for the encouragement! :o)

      Delete