Saturday, 27 June 2015

A night out

As you will have seen, I have been trying to get my confidence levels back up and to begin to go out more again in Rhiannon-mode.  I’m a firm believer in the idea of trying to make an easy start.  Why tackle Mount Everest when you haven’t climbed the local hill?

The target of the next step in my ‘easy start’ was Pink Punters (a LGBT bar based in Milton Keynes, UK).  As well as being known for having brilliant security and a zero tolerance approach to homophobia and transphobia, it has a (cheap and cheerful) hotel within a 2-minute walk from its front door.  I have been planning the trip for a while and two cis-gendered girl-friends had kindly agreed to join me.

I got ready in my room: make up done, perfume squirted, nails polished, new wig placed on (still loving it), purple dress, nude tights, black clutch bag, black patent leather block heels and some sparkly jewellery.  Accessorised by a glass or two of nice wine / dutch courage and I was ready.

There were lots of great highlights to the experience, but the first was simple.  My two friends, L and T (who were wonderful the whole night), texted me to say that they were ready and so I went up to the room they were sharing.  I got to join in the getting-ready-to-go-out ritual that I have longed to participate in rather than just watch.  They complimented me on my make up and dress and how feminine I looked.  T was still doing her hair, L was still in her socks and was joking about wearing them out tonight.  It was relaxed girl time fun.  Cheese straws, humous and a touch more wine was being consumed and I just felt part of the girl group rather than the outsider.  We talked and laughed and eventually, at a fashionable time of night, got ready to go out.

Heels on all around, I took a deep breath and walked out the door.  We passed several people who stared [am I really that attractive :o)] but I smiled and walked on.  Cleavage out, lots of teeth on show.  We took the short walk to the club and down to the door.  Before we went in, L took a couple of photos for your viewing pleasure.


We went in and toured the place to scope out the best places to sit.  It was not like any LGBT bars I’d been to before.  Only one floor was open and it was like an outside bar with a roof for the large part with big fire pits located throughout.  Given my propensity towards perspiration, that worked perfectly for me.  Despite the high temperatures, I barely broke into a sweat all night.   We grabbed (another) glass of wine and found some seats and just sat for hours talking and laughing and the time went past so fast.  I just felt like I should have been able to do this for my whole life.

One of the early things that I put in my blog, here in fact, was that I always wanted to go to a club as a woman and dance.  The night finally arrived and after we had talked for hours, we hit the dance floor.  It was packed and I have to say the crowd was young.  Made me feel very maternal!! There were only one or two other trans ladies there who appeared to be enjoying themselves too.  We found a spot and honestly, I’m not sure that my dancing was much improved, but I did enjoy it more.  Some of the self consciousness I feel as a male disappeared very quickly and I was shaking my booty like the best of them.  Every so often I’d get excited to hear a song I knew and then they’d do something weirdly clubby to it.  L and T danced with the confidence I expect from girls.  I used the night as a chance to watch how girls were dancing and to emulate.  I think that this is going to involve a learning curve.  Does that mean I’m going to have to go back?  Yes.  The sacrifices we make for our art eh?  :o)

All good things come to an end and eventually we got off the dance floor and went back to the bar.  One final drink of the night ordered and we looked at our watches for the first time to realise that it was 2am!  Standing up this time, we chatted, finished our drinks and left.  My feet were killing me.  I really need to work on having heels on for longer.  Once back on the carpeted floor of the hotel, they were straight off!  Goodnights were said and it was back to my room.  Make up off, nightdress on and such a happy smile from a happy girl and sleep.

10 comments:

  1. I considered going there once - back in 2009 - but never made it to Pink Punters. It's a rite of passage thing, and I've moved on way too much! Same comment for Brighton club life in general. I had my six months of it, but no more thank you. That said, some girls never tire of clubbing.

    No doubt you absolutely love your high heels, but they are only ritual accessories and not essential. Flats and pumps don't have the same glitzy party feel, but they'd be my only choice.

    Lucy (Commander Sensible)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Commander Sensible! :o)

    I have to confess that I am normally much more of a jeans girl with a wide selection of flats / boots / pumps etc, but I am definitely a victim to the love of a glamourous dress, sparkly jewellery and heels.

    I enjoyed getting ready and sitting chatting. But it was nice to get up and boogey. I won't become a regular I suspect, but I enjoyed it.

    Rhi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you had such a good time out. The smile (and the new hair) really suit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn :o) I'm so happy with the hair, its crazy! x

      Delete
  4. Hooray! A great description of a great night out. You look lovely and very feminine, and happy.

    PPs is a great place to go when you're starting out or getting back into the swing of things. It was my nursery and I will always have a soft spot for it.

    Looking forward to reading more adventures in this lovely T world of ours.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue - and for your ongoing encouragement - it is really appreciated. I really enjoyed myself and several of my cis-friends have said that they love going there / dancing even now. I'll definitely go again. I seem to find that having some outings in safety is a pre-cursor to launching out further. Fingers crossed x

      Delete
  5. Late to the party (ha!) but that sounds like a great night out! Glad it went so well and you enjoyed yourself. I imagine the pain in the feet was also empowering in a strange way - I recall similar when I went out in heels way back in 2011. I digress, great to hear such a positive tale and to see pictures of you looking so happy!

    Keep it up!

    God bless,

    Joanna
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna, great to hear from you - it was an awesome experience and I really enjoyed it. You should so do it again :o) xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Rhiannon,

    you are right, first we should climb the local hill and that's what you did with your night out.
    Going out in public being dressed up is not only fab but also very, very important. Experiences as a woman have a deep effect on your spirit. That brings you forward on your way to recognize yourself. If you are surrounded by women and felt accepted and a part of their world, it's quite natural that you become more womanly, more feminine even to the point that you want to tackle Mount Everest.
    I love heels. The more you wear them the quicker you become accustomed to walking on them. Of course you know it already.

    Have a nice time

    Feli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Feli :o)

      It was such a fantastic experience. Dressed, with a glass of wine, looking out the window, with fresh air blowing, I felt so alive. Then I got to go out too. The two ladies who accompanied me managed to draw me into their world in the most welcoming and lovely way. You are completely right, Everest seemed small after that night...

      Delete