Thursday, 1 August 2013

Time for an update - part one


So much has happened lately and yet things have been so busy that trying to find a slot to write has been impossible.  Hence it is 4.50am, I’m in a hotel room in Glasgow and trying to bash this out before the next mad day gets going.

There is lots to tell that is more interesting, but probably the place to start is following a particularly tough time, I have begun seeing a counsellor.  About a month ago I went to an annual event that I’ve described before on my blog.  This event has every one of my worst situations rolled into one.  It is predominantly filled with women making an effort to look fantastic for one another.  There is a black tie event.  And for added fun, this year the weather was traumatically hot, which brought out the most impossibly cute sundresses while I was uncomfortably buttoned up in my male suit most of the time.

Honestly, in those few days of the event, I quite literally had an emotional meltdown.  Some of the people who I turn to in tough times got some of the most painful texts and emails I have ever sent.  I got to the point where I just didn’t know what to do with myself.  I didn’t know what to say, to think or really how to carry on.  In my pain, I reached out instead and contacted a trans counsellor.  Amazingly, I think she saw the gravity of my strife and just hours later we had our first discussion.  It was such a refreshing oasis of calm.  Together with some friends, I came back to myself and got through.  This was even when on top of it all, I’d hired another straight-jacket of a dinner suit for the black tie event and the shirt didn’t fit my collar even though it was the right size.  I contemplated not bothering going, but I summoned the fortitude to carry on.  I did go and it was ok.  I survived.

That preamble was to say that I had my latest counselling session this week.  I opened it up by saying that I’d not done many Rhiannon things this month - that I was putting it on hold a little.  Then I listed a long long long list of all the things I’d done in the last four weeks or so and I realised that I now do Rhiannon things without even thinking about it sometimes and that I’ve stopped traveling between him and her and have largely merged them together.  Even if I’m not presenting as Rhiannon at a given moment, I am still who I am.

Anyway, so what’s happened?  Well, three main things really...

Firstly, I Sparkled.  For the uninitiated, Sparkle is the UK’s preeminent trans festival, held in Manchester’s gay village and attended by seemingly hundreds or thousands even of trans-people.  I have to say - and it is with no shadow of a doubt down to the company of Becca of Mutterings fame - I had an absolutely fantastic time!

Becca and I are good friends and we have talked about going to Sparkle for a few months now.  I was reluctant at best.  A weekend as me, wandering about doing girl things was a bit scary.  However, I did it.  I went through it and enjoyed it.  There are a couple of photos here that are slightly low quality.  Becca is a wonderful lady, a great friend, a wise sage and a courageous human being.  But she is a lousy photographer.  So I can only really apologise for the photos. :o)

My main memories from the blur that was that weekend will always be the pleasure of going out on a Friday night with my legs out in my favourite LBD with some great heels, getting slightly (ok a lot) inebriated and walking back to the hotel holding my shoes.  I have always always wanted to walk home in a cute dress holding my shoes.  Another one off my bucket list!   The other memory is that I spent the entire weekend melting.  I have just the worst propensity towards facial perspiration and it was the hottest weekend ever.  My make up and I suffered.  So I extend my apologies to those people who had to endure looking at a rather wet looking large woman like person dripping all over the place.



But I met some great people and had a lot of fun and am keen to go back.

Second, along the way this month has been dressing rather more than usual around other people.  I have had a selection of visitors to 'Rhiannon's Place', including said Becca and (on a different occasion) my mother, which was great fun. The heat has curtailed some of my make up application, so some of the Rhiannon time has been hair and make up free, but its still me!

And thirdly I went out, Rhiannon-style, for another day out with two fantastic GG girlfriends.  But I am conscious that some stuff happened on that day that I want to share with you and that this is already a long blog, so I am going to do that annoying thing of deferring telling you about that.  Plus, its nearly time for the day to start!  So, give me a day or two and I’ll put it out there...

7 comments:

  1. OK, first of all, you are ridiculously cute in both your LBD and your makeup-free shot! Just wanted to get that out of the way. :D

    I share your propensity towards excessive, er, "dewiness" (as my dear sister April, of My Road to Womanhood, puts it). lol

    I was out as myself at a music festival all weekend, and like your event, it was brutally hot and humid. I bit the bullet and went makeup-free all weekend. Oh well, the world got to see me in all of my be-freckled glory! lol

    Glad to hear you're feeling better, hon. Hope your upcoming post is more good news!

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cass - I am conscious that i gave part two a billing that I hope it lives up to! Not that I'm now nervous or anything! :o)

      I continue to enjoy your blog - I took encouragement from your make up free zone. So scary, but you rocked it!

      Take care,
      Rhi x

      Delete
  2. Photos are never my strong point. So glad you came with me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - you are an awesome awesome lady. It was my complete privilege to enjoy it with you x

      Delete
  3. The joys (!!) of an evening in a monkey suit.... and not of the King Kong variety. It's not good, but for what it's worth, I think you did brilliantly by making yourself go, despite what was going on. Go you <3

    I hope the chats are helping and may I say, you looked fab in that white top. Suits you, madam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, I really do appreciate your encouragement. I really nearly didn't but once I had, I was glad. And thank you for the feedback on the top - I really like it - the coolest, least condensation causing top I have!

      I really must come to Chams again soon. Been so busy to press, but it would be lovely to see everyone again.

      Any more stage performances on the horizon? x

      Delete
  4. Rhi, I feel your pain regarding attendance at a gala event as a drab among glorious females. It can be crushing. But if that was what it took to get you into counseling at last, then so be it. I have spent a lot of virtual ink on my blog advocating therapy, and I stand by it. You will look back on this a major milestone.

    And...you look great in your LBD, girl!

    ReplyDelete