Sunday, 22 February 2015

Never met another Rhiannon?

Just a quick one today.  Do you ever have those moments when you just wish you had the wherewithal, albeit dressed in boy mode, to just yell out that you are not the boring guy sat in jeans and a horrible top, but that you are really a girl just dying to leap out of yourself?  I’m guessing that for the majority of my readers there is a simple yes answer there.

I keep myself under control most of the time.  The number of times per day that I out myself has significantly reduced.  But today I was sorely tempted.

Just for context, not for boasting, I’m in Washington DC.  For those of you who don’t know, I sometimes travel with work and this time, en route (ish) home, I stopped off for 4 days in Washington.  I arrived at the end of last week and have been on a mad museum, art and famous place fest for the last three days.  I’ve just had the most brilliant time.  I’m on my own, so am free to do whatever I like, when I like and how I like with no reference to anyone else.  This is the only time my work travel will seem glamourous.  Normally when away, I work Monday to Friday, seeing only hotels and the office and do my flying on Saturday and Sunday, effectively losing two weekends every time I travel.  Not glamourous at all.

Today is the last day of my time here and so I went for breakfast (in boy mode) this morning and was munching away (in a delicate lady-like fashion) when a very exuberant twenty-something American lady walked past.  (Is everyone exuberant in this country? It does feel like it.)  Anyway, I was sat at my table when she excitedly went past saying, “The most amazing thing happened this week.  I met another Rhiannon for the first time ever.  We were both (like) talking and she said that she was Rhiannon and I was just so amazed because I’ve never met another one before.” (etc, etc, etc).

You can imagine why I was tempted.

There used to be an advertisement in the UK where the tagline was something like, “When a man you’ve never met before suddenly gives you flowers…that’s Impulse”.  it advertised a body spray.  Well, this scenario was a bit like that.  “When a man you’ve never met before suddenly tells you that he’s the second Rhiannon you’ve met in one week…that’s probably weird and a little creepy.”  So I didn’t.  But today I was sorely tempted.  And hope that one day I will.

7 comments:

  1. Fancy this happening! But the cat would have been out of the bag with unknowable consequences had you said 'Actually, my Secret Identity is Rhiannon, so I'm your number three for today.' That said, it was a gift if you had dared. (I'm asking myself whether I would have)

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I spend an unhealthy amount of time imagining what the cat would look like as it escaped from the bag. I think I'll keep Schrodinger in his box instead...

      Delete
  2. Fancy this happening! But the cat would have been out of the bag with unknowable consequences had you said 'Actually, my Secret Identity is Rhiannon, so I'm your number three for today.' That said, it was a gift if you had dared. (I'm asking myself whether I would have)

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those Impulse adverts! Okay, now I sound weird and creepy too.

    I am very glad you've found time to have some less pressured time, and my experience of the States was similarly that everyone over there would be exuberant over here. Also I suspect that our proclivity for sarcastic and understated emotion is part of that, they are a bit more... open.

    Sounds like a nice experience all told. I'm slightly jealous!

    Oh, yeah, and understatement, that's another UK vice.

    Best wishes,

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't spot that I'd not replied. So I sound weird and creepy for sure then? :)

      Sorry I made you jealous. It really was a fantastic experience and to enjoy it by myself was incredibly cathartic. A life outside the expectations of others could be something I would enjoy... x

      Delete
  4. I love the name Rhiannon, in fact it is my eldest daughter's middle name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - great choice :o) I've probably not had it as long as your daughter, but it feels like it suits me. Takes a special woman to be a Rhiannon - I'm sure your daughter is... x

      Delete